Keeping children safe in education Statutory guidance for schools and colleges April 2014
outlines the duties of Governing Bodies and specifically states that,
- Governing bodies should ensure that school contributes to inter-agency working in line with statutory guidance Working Together to Safeguard Children 2013
- Includes providing co-ordinated offer of early help
- Contributing to inter-agency plans for children subject to child protection plans.
- Ensure their safeguarding arrangements take account of Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) procedures
Safeguarding training for Governors is not mandatory however a respected website for School Governors reports that an Ofsted representative confirmed the inspection framework does not require or expect governors to have been trained in safeguarding.. Nevertheless, … evidence that governors have completed, or are planning to complete, safeguarding training will be viewed favourably by inspectors.
Current training for School governors addresses;
- Consideration of the Daniel Pelka Serious Case Review
- Governors roles and responsibilities
- Legal and policy concepts
- Female Genital Mutilation awareness raising